Senior Data Platform Engineer
The kind of person we're looking for...
At Rdio, we are building a best-in-class data pipeline and analytics infrastructure by leveraging open source technologies such as Apache Kafka, Hadoop, and Elasticsearch. We provide a reliable platform that powers top charts, search, recommendations and music discovery, as well as key product and consumer insights based on real-time data analysis as well as large-scale batch data processing.
This is your dream job if you:
- Love to solve complex problems and provide simple elegant solutions
- Have experience with distributed systems
- Pride yourself as good coder and an expert in functional and OO programming paradigms (you could be an advocate for either Python, Scala, or even Erlang or Go!)
- Love to work with open source technologies and love to build software in the cloud
- Have a BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field
The kind of stuff you'll be doing...
- Own key functional areas within Rdio's music data pipeline
- Design, implement, and deploy data products at the core of Rdio’s business
- Actively use, manage, and maintain big data technologies such as Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, and Storm.
- Do performance analysis and capacity planning for Rdio’s data pipeline and data processing clusters
- Produce and maintain accurate, high quality technical and system documentation
The kind of skills & experience we expect...
- You should have hands-on development experience building and applying distributed, Internet-scale data systems, and caching, parallelism, and distributed data storage frameworks.
- You deeply understand multi-threading, concurrency, and parallel processing technologies.
- You meet your commitments on time and produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Excellent communication skills, initiative and teamwork.
- You thrive in a fast paced, test-driven, collaborative and iterative programming environment.
- Work closely with Director of Data Engineering to assess technical design, implementation and roadmap of platform and services
- 8+ years in software development, with extensive programming experience using Python and Scala or Java (Erlang and/or Go a plus!)
- Extensive experience deploying big data technologies (Kafka, Hadoop, Cassandra, Storm, Elasticsearch)
- Experience with Chef or other infrastructure management tools (Puppet, SaltStack, Ansible, etc).
What we offer...
We’re a start-up, but our salaries are all grown-up. In addition, we have comprehensive health coverage (medical, vision, and dental), a 401k, 7-week paid parental baby bonding leave and 15 days of vacation. You will also receive equity so you’re in a good position to enjoy Rdio’s future successes.
How to apply…
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the title of the job you’re applying for and the job code - ENG09 - in the subject of your email.
No recruiters or recruitment agencies.