Rdio Expands to Roku and ‘Puts the Needle on the Record’ in the Homes of Music Lovers
Unlimited, On-Demand Social Music Service Debuts in the Roku Channel Store
SAN FRANCISCO – February 24, 2011 – Rdio, the unlimited, on-demand social music service from the founders of Skype, today continued revolutionizing the music experience by extending its reach to a leading home entertainment platform with its debut on the Roku streaming player.
Rdio service lets music fans listen to as many songs as they like, anytime, anywhere. Built around community and powered by people, Rdio puts the social into music by making it super easy to both share music and discover new music through friends and other influencers. Rdio offers millions of songs in its continuously expanding music catalogue for just pennies a day.
“This combination of Rdio and Roku is a solid step forward in our march to redefine the music experience across the variety of platforms and devices in the marketplace,” said Drew Larner, CEO of Rdio. “By extending Rdio’s core social and music innovations onto Roku devices, users can, for the first time, share and discover music from their TV and home entertainment system.”
Roku is a family of streaming players that deliver high definition video and audio via built in wireless and Ethernet to your TV and home entertainment system. The Roku Channel Store contains over 150 channels for customers to add to their Roku device for immediate, on-demand viewing and listening. Since pioneering the streaming player category in 2008, Roku has sold over a million devices and served over a billion streams of content.
“We are excited about the rich social dimension that Rdio brings to the Roku Channel Store,” said Anthony Wood, founder and CEO of Roku, Inc. “With great music and an innovative service, Rdio offers tremendous value for customers and an experience that will fuel connection within the Roku user community.”
Key features of Rdio’s Roku channel, include:
• Build your music collection – Whether you want to listen to the latest Top 40 album or indie artist, Rdio brings millions of songs in its library to your music collection.
• Listen to playlists – Rdio users have created playlists with creative and descriptive names, making it easy to pick a playlist based on your mood.
• Search everything fast – Search for more than just artists, albums and songs, our fast search also provides results for playlists and people.
• See what’s popular – Check out what’s in “heavy rotation” and easily listen to the music that your friends and influencers are listening to most.
• Check out new releases, top charts and recommended music – Be in the know about what’s new and buzzing in music. Rdio gives easy access to new releases, top charts, and recommended albums so you’re always up to date on the latest music and can easily re-discover old favorites. Check out top albums, songs and playlists, or browse album recommendations based upon the music you’ve previously played.
• Know your personal history – view the albums, songs and playlists you have previously played.
• Amazing web queue – Create a seamless listening experience across web, mobile and your TV by accessing your web queue across platforms. Queue up a set of albums, songs or playlists on the web and play that queue directly from Rdio on Roku.
Rdio is an unlimited, on-demand social music service that lets subscribers listen to music on the web, in your home and on your mobile phone, even offline. One of Rdio’s key differentiators is its unique social design that emulates the way music has always been shared—from person to person. Rdio subscribers build and share their online music collections from a catalogue of over 8 million songs, and can see the listening activity, collections and playlists of other Rdio users including friends and influencers. Subscribers can also see what’s in heavy rotation in their network and the Rdio community, top charts and newly released albums. Rdio can also help you decide to play what’s next with Artist Rdio Stations and recommendations based on music you’ve previously played. Rdio has relationships with all four major labels (EMI Music, Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group) and thousands of indie labels. Rdio platform and device support includes a browser-based application, Mac and PC desktop clients, a Google Chrome Web Store App, Sonos, and Roku as well as iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry mobile devices.
Pricing & Availability
The Rdio Channel on Roku is available to all Rdio Unlimited subscribers for $9.99 a month. Rdio offers a 7-day free trial for new users. Current Rdio Unlimited customers with a Roku device have immediate, all-platform access by simply linking their account to the Rdio channel which is now available in the Roku Channel Store. Roku customers can try Rdio on Roku by signing up for a 7-day free trial at www.rdio.com and then linking their Roku player to the newly created Rdio account. Current Rdio Web subscribers with a Roku device may upgrade to Rdio Unlimited for immediate access to Rdio on Roku. While Rdio is available in the US and Canada, Roku devices and the Rdio Channel on Roku are only available in the US.
Rdio is an unlimited, on-demand social music service that brings music alive by letting subscribers listen to as many songs as they want, anytime, anywhere, and discover and share new music with friends. Rdio was founded by Janus Friis, one of the founders of Skype and is funded by Atomico, Janus Friis through his investment entities, Mangrove Capital Partners and Skype. For more information please visit www.rdio.com.
About Roku, Inc.
The market leader in streaming entertainment devices for the TV with over 1 million units sold, Roku has always believed that anything you want to watch, listen to, and enjoy should simply be there on your TV, whenever you want it. Roku streaming players are renowned for their simplicity, variety of entertainment choices, and exceptional value. Roku is privately held and based in Saratoga, Calif. For more information on the company and its products, visit: www.roku.com.
Sparkpr for Rdio